#508, 402 W Pender St, Vancouver BC

Note: There are 3 wide steps to the front door of the building.
Buzz #508 on evenings and weekends.

  • 2 Hour Free Parking; International Village (Abbot and Pender, 6 min walk away).
  • On Homer Street Parking: 2 hour limit
  • Parkades: EasyPark, 535 Richards St, Metro Parking, 511 Richards, EasyPark, 150 West Pender
  • Transit: #209 stops in front of the building
  • Skytrain: Waterfront, 6 min walk or Chinatown, 9 min walk.

Booking Appointments

Intake hours: Mon-Fri,  10am – 1pm
Or book directly online with the button below

Cancellation Policy

To cancel your appointment, please notify the office directly.

48hr notice of cancellation is required or you will be charged the full session rate.

Rescheduling/refunds cost a $15 admin fee (48-hr notice window still applies.)


Per Session Counselling Fee:

  • Individual Session  $175 (50 mins) / $250 (80 mins)
  • Relationship Session $235 (50 mins) / $285 (80 mins)
  • Bundle Package (Five Individual 50-min Sessions) $820

Consultation/Supervision Fees for Counsellors:

  • $175 (50 mins)
  • $70 (20 min check-in)

Support Documents and Communication Fees:

*fees are based upon time involved.  

  • $15.00 – $50.00 – support emails
  • $90.00 – $175.00 – support letters, forms
  • $350.00 – $600.00 – legal reports/clinical review summaries
Income Tax

Income Tax Deductible:

Registered clinical social workers are recognized as ‘medical practitioners’ under the Income Tax Act. This means that clinical services provided by RSWs and RCSWs can be claimed on clients’ income tax returns. In accordance with the Medical Expense Tax Credit (METC), the Government of Canada will reimburse recipients of clinical services that have expenses greater than $2,109 in 2012 or 3 percent of the taxpayer’s net income.

Confidentiality is extremely important within our practice. Any therapist who breaches confidentiality is subject to disciplinary procedures through his respective college or governing body. Under the law, we are required to report any child abuse that we learn about or any threat of harm to another person and we must act to protect anyone who is at risk of harming him or herself. Otherwise, we do not release any information without your permission. In some cases when you are being sent for assessment or treatment by a third party who is paying for our services (i.e. WCB, ICBC etc.), they require information about your progress and therefore it will need to be sent to them but this is clarified with you prior.

HNC Policies:

In support of our admin hours, the counsellors time and other clients, HNC follows a strict 48hr notice requirement for all cancellations and an administration fee of $15 is charged to cover the associated administration, Jane scheduling and banking fees for reimbursement when cancelling outside the 48 hour window. There are no rescheduling fees charged if rescheduling is requested outside the 48 hour time.


Insurance Coverage:

Many employer’s extended health benefits insurance plans will cover fees for counsellors who have designation as a Registered Social Worker (RSW) or are Registered Clinical Counsellors (RCC). HNC has both registrations.

*It is advisable to check with your benefits plan to determine the coverage available.

Questions to ask your provider:
–   What the yearly claimable limit is?
–   Is there a cap on each individual session?

Insurance for counselling is provided through companies such as some of the following.  HNC provides receipts for the client to claim for reimbursement.
–  Great West Life
–  Pacific Blue Cross
–  Sunlife Insurance
–  Green Shield Insurance
–  Employee Assistance Programs
–  Crime Assistance Program* (HNC is a registered provider)
–  Non-Insured Health Benefits for Aboriginal people or other publicly funded services
–  Family Assistance Programs*
–  Workers Compensation Board (WCB)*
– Metis Nation BC: Metis Counseling Connection (MCC) Program
– First Nations Health Authority (FNHA)

If involved in a motor vehicle accident causing anxiety and trauma you can request counselling support from your lawyer.

Other funding for therapeutic support is available from an Employee Assistance Program, ICBC, Crime Victims Assistance program or other programs with:
–  Workers Compensation Board
–  Telus (union employees only, not management)
–  Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation
–  University of British Columbia’s Student Health Plan
–  City of Vancouver
–  Bank of Montreal
–  BC Hydro
–  Canada Post
–  City of New Westminster
–  Department of Indian Affairs
–  Air Canada
–  Firefighters Association

If you RCC or RSW counselling is NOT covered under your plan:

Some plans will cover visits to a Psychologist but not a qualified RCC who is less expensive. You can contact your employer, Human Resources Department, or the insurance company directly to request a small change to the plan’s coverage.  This isn’t difficult, and does not cost the employer anything, and at the same time it can increase your employee benefits as counselling fees are far less than Psychologist fees. Most employers like to increase the amount of benefits that their employees can access, especially when it does not cost the employer any additional fee.   By adjusting the plan to include RCC’s, your counselling dollars will actually go further.  Please use the link below to access a document with the information you will need to put into your own letter when making this request.

Click here to download the letter

If you prefer HNC to an EAP counsellor specifically, you have the right to request your preference and a letter of support can be provided to you.

Victim Support Program

HNC is registered therapist with the Crime Victim Assistance Program and can direct to this program.

The Crime Victim Assistance Program is a government-funded program that offers counselling services to individuals in support of their recovery from the effects of traumatic events.

If you or an immediate family member have been victimized by violence, including physical or sexual abuse, or you have been a witness to such crimes, you may be eligible for financial assistance to cover therapy costs. Even if you’re not sure if you have been a victim of crime, you can call VictimLink BC at 1-800-563-0808 for assistance. Victim service workers are available to help apply for funding through the Crime Victim Assistance Program.

Financial assistance is available whether or not a perpetrator is charged and there is no time limit for applications from victims of sexual offences.

Please contact HNC to discuss any details required from our end and the CVAP program, to apply and understand the subsidy available.  Please refer to VictimLink BC for more information.